[Koha-devel] OPAC theme defaults for 3.14

Naval Marine Archive paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com
Fri Oct 25 00:20:02 CEST 2013

At 09:50 AM 10/25/2013 +1300, Robin Sheat wrote:
>op 25-10-13 08:35, Naval Marine Archive schreef:
> > I'm not sure what exactly is meant by "bootstrap" in the Koha context
>Bootstrap is a web framework that makes it easy to make responsive (i.e.
>works seamlessly on mobile and desktop browsers) websites.
>see http://responsive.mykoha.co.nz/ for an example.

Many thanks Robin -- but if you compare your example with our
<http://opac.navalmarinearchive.com/> (and possibly click to our "home"
page, etc, in the left column, which have the same header and "feel") I
think you'll understand why I'm looking for the background code differences
and philosophy...

>see https://www.google.com/search?q=bootstrap for more general
>information about it.

I'd already done that (perhaps not exhaustively) and found bootstrap.zip
from the Apache foundation, developed for?/by? twitterers which has a .css
file way over 100 kB -- that was why I mentioned that the [extensive] .yui
css file is giving grief [1]. I just get the impression that well written
templates with shorter css could probably meet at least 99.9% of all OPAC
needs.

Is there something that my "KISS attitude" is missing?

I'd also add that I'm experimenting with LDAP logins to https on Apache
2.4, and that "external" files (like .yui) are painful; you lose the
security aspects covered by your own certificate. This is another reason
for my KISS approach.

[1] Try
<http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fopac.navalmarinearchive.com%2Fcgi-bin%2Fkoha%2Fopac-search.pl%3Fidx%3Dau%26q%3De&profile=css3&usermedium=all&warning=1&vextwarning=&lang=en>

Best - Paul