[Koha-devel] OPAC theme defaults for 3.14

Robin Sheat robin at catalyst.net.nz
Fri Oct 25 00:53:45 CEST 2013

Naval Marine Archive schreef op do 24-10-2013 om 18:20 [-0400]:
> Many thanks Robin -- but if you compare your example with our
> <http://opac.navalmarinearchive.com/> (and possibly click to our "home"
> page, etc, in the left column, which have the same header and "feel") I
> think you'll understand why I'm looking for the background code differences
> and philosophy...

It's a redesign of the whole thing to make it more maintainable, more
useful across devices, also hopefully easier to theme and removing
legacy cruft.

> I'd already done that (perhaps not exhaustively) and found bootstrap.zip
> from the Apache foundation,

No you didn't. It's not associated with the Apache foundation in any way
at all, aside from using the Apache software license.

>  developed for?/by? twitterers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootstrap_(front-end_framework)

"Bootstrap was developed by Mark Otto and Jacob Thornton at Twitter" ...
the wikipedia article is the fourth result for searching for me.

> which has a .css file way over 100 kB -- that was why I mentioned that the [extensive] .yui

So? It'll get loaded once and then cached. It'll also gzip down to about
21k when being transferred.

> css file is giving grief [1]. I just get the impression that well written
> templates with shorter css could probably meet at least 99.9% of all OPAC
> needs.

Correlation isn't causation, a big CSS file doesn't mean things are bad.
YUI is also in the process of being phased out of Koha.

> Is there something that my "KISS attitude" is missing?

Yes, it adds a whole lot more work if you want to avoid things looking
like this:

http://ubuntuone.com/0KWjMx3mSPE1MnxGJxzkaE

when viewed on a phone, which more and more people do these days.

Additionally, if we build our own, then we're just reinventing the
wheel, and making ourselves need to implement things that are already
done better than we could probably do them in a reasonable timeframe.

Not to mention browser testing, are you going to do that, or are you
going to go with something that is already known to work?

Don't even mention right-to-left support.

Basically your idea of "simple" means a lot more work for everyone in
order to get a much worse result.

> I'd also add that I'm experimenting with LDAP logins to https on Apache
> 2.4, and that "external" files (like .yui) are painful; you lose the
> security aspects covered by your own certificate. This is another reason
> for my KISS approach.

No you don't. We run many Koha instances over HTTPS, and the only issue
(recently partially resolved) is book covers being fetched over HTTP,
therefore giving warnings about mixed content. If you have YUI resources
being fetched from another server, then change the syspref that controls
that. I'm somewhat sure serving them locally is the default.

--
Robin Sheat
Catalyst IT Ltd.