[Koha-devel] XML::Simple or YAML for read config files ?

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Sat Sep 21 19:30:49 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 7:50 AM, Zeno Tajoli <z.tajoli at cineca.it> wrote:

> I have to define a configuration file for Koha.
> Which perl module do we want to prefer for config files ?
> YAML (like system prefences) or XML::Simple (like koha-conf.xml) ?

Well, the choice seems to be YAML vs. XML as file formats -- there are much
better XML parsers than XML::Simple available.  JSON would be an option as
well, though not the most friendly.  Ditto for Perl-as-config-file-format.
 One downside of YAML is that it can be a bit too sensitive to mistakes in
whitespace.

The nit about XML processors aside, how complicated is the structure of the
configuration data you need to express?  And how frequently would a human
need to look at it?  If the configuration you need to express boils down to
a hash map, I suggestion a simple key-value format such as a properties
file or even an INI file.

Also, is there anything preventing the configuration from living in the
database?

Regards,

Galen
--