[Koha-devel] Rename the repos?

Mark Tompsett mtompset at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 15 19:28:24 CEST 2014

Greetings,

Galen wrote:
>  Should we consider adopting a different set of code
> names/suites for our APT repository?  For example:
>
>testing
>stable
>oldstable
>(maybe) reallyoldstable

Yes, I think we should rename them.
Renaming repositories in general as needed: +1
Rename squeeze to stable: +1
Rename squeeze-dev: +1
-- You'll note that I'm not sure whether it should be 'testing' or
'development'.

Keeping reallyoldstable: -0
-- I'm kind of on the fence. It would be great to install an older stable
version, but what is the point of hosting it, when someone could follow the
instructions on the wiki
(http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Building_Debian_Packages_-_The_Easy_Way,
for example) and roll their own earlier distribution from a git
installation.

> or perhaps go by version number
> (modified as needed to confirm with any toolchain expectations about the
> format of the suite name)?

Renaming by version number: -1
-- I don't think having to do the modifications gives us added benefits,
does it?

> Doing this would avoid any implications about which particular OS
> releases a given package can work with.

Which is a good thing!

GPML,
Mark Tompsett