[Koha-devel] Rename the repos?

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Tue Apr 15 19:47:41 CEST 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 10:28 AM, Mark Tompsett <mtompset at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Keeping reallyoldstable: -0
> -- I'm kind of on the fence. It would be great to install an older stable
> version, but what is the point of hosting it, when someone could follow the
> instructions on the wiki
> (http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Building_Debian_Packages_-_The_Easy_Way,
> for example) and roll their own earlier distribution from a git
> installation.

By that logic, why should we host an APT repository at all?

The answer, of course, is to make supported versions of Koha easy to
install.  I think we should be leery of directing folks at
instructions on how to roll their own packages unless they are doing
development for Koha or are an entity that is providing their own
support for an officially unsupported version of Koha.

This ties into a broader question of how many versions we want to
support.  My view is that we "officially" support a version, we should
provide packages for it (depending of course, on the availability of
people and tools to build them).

> Renaming by version number: -1
> -- I don't think having to do the modifications gives us added benefits,
> does it?

Well, there's a potentially a rather big benefit: not surprising
somebody who is tracking stable with a major version upgrade,
particularly since Koha falls in the category of usually being the
primary reason why a given server/VM exists

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton