[Koha-devel] VAT/GST rewrite

Philippe Blouin philippe.blouin at inlibro.com
Thu Aug 28 14:06:06 CEST 2014

The first question is a trap?  Feels like a troll to start a very long
"discussion" :)

Having played in that area, I can say that I had NO idea what each of
the variable names meant.  I had to go to their source to guess it.
That said, maybe I could have gotten used to "rrp", if it's used
commonly.  But the "it" at the end is horrible.

The only downside I can see (and it's not negligible) is that DB
displays will go very large on my screen due to such long name used on
small values.

So, splitting hair, I'd say rrp_incl_tax, if rrp is commonly used. But
that's just me.  :)

On 3), I like that very much, thank you!

On 08/28/2014 05:58 AM, Jonathan Druart wrote:
> Thanks to Katrin and Colin for their questions/notes on the wiki page
> (http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/GST_Rewrite_RFC#Questions_.2F_notes)
>
> We need some pov on the following points:
> 1/ The DB field/variables names
> Colin suggested not to truncate the names. But, for instance, rrp_it
> would become recommended_retail_price_including_tax, not convenient.
> Any thought?
> 2/ Rounding
> I suggest to add a new pref to define the decimal to get for price
> calculation. So we need to change all the price DB fields to something
> like decimal(13,4).
> Does it make sense for everyone?
> 3/ Unified the "vat", "gst" and "tax" terms into "tax". Which is more generic.
>
> Please express yourself if you disagree.
>
> Regards,
> Jonathan

>> Hello,
>>
>> As promised, I have just finished to translate the spec for the VAT/GST rewrite.
>>
>> You can found them on the wiki:
>> http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/GST_Rewrite_RFC
>>
>> Note that I am waiting for some feedbacks before starting the development.
>> I really would like to know if the logic is good for all of you/your
>> customers/use cases and if you agree on the values calculation.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jonathan

Philippe Blouin,
Responsable du développement informatique

Tél.  : (888) 604-2627
philippe.blouin at inLibro.com <mailto:philippe.blouin at inLibro.com>

inLibro | pour esprit libre | www.inLibro.com <http://www.inLibro.com>