[Koha-devel] DataTables - using class names in aTargets

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Wed Feb 26 23:35:30 CET 2014

+1

-----Original Message-----
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 09:34:55 -0800
From: Galen Charlton <gmc at esilibrary.com>
To: "koha-devel at lists.koha-community.org"
	<koha-devel at lists.koha-community.org>
Subject: [Koha-devel] DataTables - using class names in aTargets

Hi,

There have been a fair number of bugs filed for fixing table sorting as
columns get added to or removed from tables.  At root, they stem from our
current habit of referring to columns by numeric position in aoColumns and
aoColumnDefs/aTargets, e.g.,

{ "aTargets": [ 1, 2 ], "sType": "natural"  }

and

            "aoColumns": [
                { "sType": "title-string" },{ "sType": "html" },null,{
"sType": "title-string" },null,null,null,null,null,null[% IF (
exports_enabled ) %],null[% END %]
            ],

However, the documentation for DataTables says that aTargets doesn't have to
be just an array of integers; it can also be "a string - class name will be
matched on the TH for the column".

To reduce the risk of silly columns-sorting bugs, I suggest that we adopt a
practice of using descriptive CSS class names for table headers and using
the class names in aoColumnsDefs/aTarget specifications, and dropping the
use of aoColumns.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Galen