[Koha-devel] Adding Wysiwyg to (HTML) System Preferences

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Fri Jan 17 03:29:33 CET 2014

What would folks think about adding the tinymce wysiwyg to some of the
system preferences that deal with HTML?

At Prosentient, we've added the "htmlarea" option for local system
preferences, and now we're thinking about expanding to include some of the
standard system preferences (such as OpacNav, OpacHeader, OpacMainBlock,
etc).

Many users probably don't know HTML, so it might be useful if they could use
a wysiwyg to generate or modify content for these system preferences.

That said, maybe not everyone wants to use a wysiwyg. Personally, I rather
write HTML by hand. I don't like using wysiwyg editors.

Tinymce does have an option where you can hand-edit the HTML source, so that
solves that problem, but maybe there should be a system preference that
controls whether certain system preferences have the wysiwyg appear or not.
Maybe a list style syspref (e.g. OpacNav|OpacHeader) or just a general
Yes/No.

I would be willing to write the patch, but I want to figure out if there is
any interest first.

Cheers,

David

P.S. It's worth mentioning that the "type" stored in the database appears to
have *zero* impact on a non-local system preference, and that the ".pref"
files are used as the source of truth.