[Koha-devel] RFC: /svc/ API

Alex Sassmannshausen alex.sassmannshausen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 11:15:18 CEST 2014

Hello,

Very interesting discussion!

Petter Goksøyr Åsen writes:

> David Cook wrote:
>> Since there are an indeterminate number of third-party software systems
>> using the existing API, I'd recommend versioning and using v2 to handle
>> things more RESTfully.
>
> I agree. We should think twice before breaking existing integrations
> and workflows.

+1

> I am also interested to hear peoples opinions about Koha's HTTP APIs in general:
> - do you want them expanded? for what use cases?

We would definitely be interested in having expanded APIs. We at PTFS
Europe have been working on a revised VuFind driver which uses the
ILS-DI API to provide functionality currently only available through
direct database connections
(https://github.com/PTFS-Europe/vufind/compare/vufind-org:master...koha-driver).
Parts of this driver unfortunately do not work yet due to limitations of
the ILS-DI API, so we'd be keen to see it enhanced!

> - and more importantly: should Koha's templates make use of i'ts own
> APIs?

I like this idea in principle, though am in no way capable of assessing
the feasibility or practical implications in terms of relative
performance and code complexity…

Best wishes,

Alex

--