[Koha-devel] Proposal for a change in guidelines for the sign-off process in the Koha-community

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Mon Nov 10 00:10:04 CET 2014

I think this has the potential to create a lot of conflict.

I know the guideline saying that one company shouldn’t sign off its own
patches slows things down, but – like Owen – I think it’s an important
guideline. While I’m sure no one would abuse the process maliciously, I
think a lot of mistakes would probably go unnoticed out of a desire to speed
along the process. Even if the tester hasn’t worked on the development,
there is an (unspoken) incentive to pass the patch and be less critical than
someone from another organization. I think stability is more important than
more features. Of course, some recent patches have shown that even our
current process isn’t always able to catch all the problems.

I think Brooke mentioned that we need more people. That’s probably true. If
you think about it, more sign offs will mean even more of a burden on QA,
which will mean more and more mistakes get through. Of course, I want to
volunteer and do more, but I don’t have the time. Where do we stand
regarding a patch coming from one company, a different company signing off,
and QA coming from the original company? If Bywater and BibLibre add more
people to the QA team, and test each other’s patches, that probably could
compensate for higher volumes of patches both needing testing and having
been tested. Mind you, I suppose the incentive then becomes to test the
other company’s patches faster so they test yours faster and maybe the level
of criticism lowers again anyway. Maybe we should trust people’s judgement
and let more people add sign offs (so long as we’re also adding eyes to QA,
I think).

In any case, I think the main point where conflict will come is in the
pointing out of abuse. No one likes receiving criticism. I could easily see
rifts forming where one or two companies think that they’re acting within
the guidelines but other people think they’re abusing the system. I think it
would be awkward to point out such abuses in some cases, and heated or tense
in other cases.

I don’t know. Those are my two cents. I’m the only one at my company
involved in the community, so I don’t really have a stake either way. I’m
just concerned about stability and overworking key individuals. That said, I
don’t have the time to volunteer at the moment. I’ve been too busy to test
or contribute patches recently, so I wouldn’t put too much weight in my
words.

I suppose I’d like to hear from the QA team and former/present/future
Release Managers on the subject. If they think they can handle an influx of
patches due to companies signing off their own patches (admittedly via
different individuals) and potential interpersonal conflict, then I suppose
I’m up for it.

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems