[Koha-devel] Opac doesn't support IE6 and IE7 (with js enabled). Are we aware of this ?

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Mon Nov 10 01:09:41 CET 2014

I think Chris makes a good point here. Working at a support company, I have to support organizations that use IE 7, but I don’t think we have to officially support IE 7 as a project. I don’t think it makes sense not to upgrade to newer versions of JS libraries just to maintain IE 7 support.

However, I don’t necessarily appreciate criticism to patches I post that add IE 7 (or IE 8) support, when the code I target is written by us. In most cases, it’s simple feature detection with a few lines of code and comments stating the purpose and situation.

In those cases, it doesn’t bother me if no one tests or QAs those patches. However, I post them because I figure other people are experiencing those same issues and I want to help out.

I suppose you could argue that adding support in limited areas might just draw out the pain longer and reduce incentive to upgrade. That’s fair. If we don’t want to support IE 7 in any capacity at all, I’m happy to keep those patches entirely local.

I’ll also reiterate what Owen said more recently: if you’re going to test Koha in Internet Explorer, it’s best to do it in Internet Explorer. This means doing it on a Windows box or using a Windows VM as provided by Microsoft. Using emulators/testers (especially browser based ones) will often give you false results. Even if you’re using the IE F12 dev tools, you’ll sometimes get incorrect results (depending on what the issue is). So if you want to check Koha’s performance in IE, I’d suggest downloading a VM and running it up in Virtualbox.

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems

72/330 Wattle St, Ultimo, NSW 2007