[Koha-devel] OPAC items location (shelf)

Paul A paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com
Thu Oct 2 17:42:37 CEST 2014

I've looked through the wiki and bugs.koha... but can't seem to find
anything relevant.

opac-search.pl (if it finds more than one result) produces a line that
reads e.g. "Availability: Copies available: 2nd floor rare (2)," using
opac-results.tt which relies on data 'available_items_loo.location'

The 'location' that it uses is the one that is defined in the *default*
framework (952$c "Other options/Authorized value") (and, by the way,
appears to use the raw "auth. value" strings, not the "Description (OPAC)"
strings.)

It appears that if you define, say for videos, a different set of "Auth.
values" (LOC2 instead of LOC) for the "video framework 952$c", this is not
picked up by opac-search.pl (for the Main OPAC search page which now reads
"Availability: Copies available:(2), "), but is picked up by opac-detail.pl
in the proper place in the holdings tab.

If you change the "default framework" to use LOC2, it works for "videos",
but "book" locations disappear.

Maybe I've missed something very obvious, if not I'll try and delve deeper.

We have literally hundreds of "locations" and to avoid very long lists in
the admin item cataloguing drop down boxes, I've been asked to subdivide
them... (LOC2 is fully functional per item type, but introduces the above
"loss of functionality" in the OPAC.)

The only "work around" that I can quickly find is to put *all* possible
locations into LOC, and use LOC2, LOC3 etc for item types -- but this leads
to a very ugly page in the "Shelving location" tab at advanced search
<http://opac.navalmarinearchive.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-search.pl>.

Thanks and best regards,
Paul