[Koha-devel] Zebra, Query Parsing, Search, All the things

Tomas Cohen Arazi tomascohen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 19:33:32 CET 2015

David, you didn't mention if you are getting those results with(out) using
the QueryParser, so I don't completely understand if you are proposing some
fix? Maybe provide a regression test so someone can work on it.

> Hi all:
>

> I was getting 0 results when I should’ve been getting 78 results with the
> following query:
>
> Host-item:Criminology and criminal justice : an international journal
>

> I looked in the Zebra logs, and noticed that it was being transformed into
> the following:
>

> @not @and @attr 1=1033 Criminology @and @and @and @and @and criminal
> justice = an international journal @attr 1=9011 1
>

> If we decompose the RPN, we’ll see that it’s basically saying:
>

> (Host-item=Crimology and ((((criminal and justice) and = ) and
> international) and journal )) not Suppression=1
>

> The problem is that “=” is going to return 0 results, so the “and” will
> always be 0.
>

> The way to remedy this problem is to add quotes around our Host-item
> “value”:
>

> Host-item:”Criminology and criminal justice an international journal”
>

> This will produce the following RPN query, which returns 78 results:
>

> @not @attr 1=1033 "Criminology and criminal justice = an international
> journal" @attr 1=9011 1
>

> As far as I can tell, the = symbol is ignored. You can remove it or
> substitute another symbol and it’ll still return the same number of results.
>

> Although it looks like using * for truncation doesn’t work in double
> quotation marks... I suppose that’s because it’s already part of a term so
> you can’t really translate it into RPN separately…
>

> I notice sometimes we strip out double quotation marks from queries and
> sometimes we add them in… we should probably do something consistent…
>

> David Cook
>
> Systems Librarian
>
> Prosentient Systems
>
> 72/330 Wattle St, Ultimo, NSW 2007

Tomás Cohen Arazi
Theke Solutions (http://theke.io)
✆ +54 9351 3513384
GPG: B76C 6E7C 2D80 551A C765  E225 0A27 2EA1 B2F3 C15F