[Koha-devel] [Koha] Problem with BarcodeFallbackSearch

Paul A paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com
Thu Dec 10 00:46:04 CET 2015

At 10:36 PM 12/9/2015 +0100, someone wrote:
>El 09/12/15 a las 22:13, someone else escribió:
> > If this is a desirable feature, a good place to start would be to file a
> > bug at http://bugs.koha-community.org. :)

That's from the "user" list, and while some of you consider me $whatever, I
have concerns regarding the use of the term "bug" that I genuinely believe
to be in the best interest of koha-community.

"A software bug is an error, flaw, failure, or fault in a computer program
or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or
to behave in unintended ways." (Wikipedia)

'bugs' --  quantifiable shortcomings in software
'issues' --  potential problems that aren't directly to related code
e.g.design decisions
'enhancements' -- ideas that haven't been implemented yet.
'security' -- must be considered separately; breaches are fundamental, not
bugs. If backwards correction is not possible, this must be announced.
"Security by obscurity" is a fallacy.

Suggest[1]: If you are:

a) Requesting a new feature (enhancement), or
b) Having build problems, or
c) Not sure what the behavior should be, or
d) Disagreeing with current intended behavior, or
e) Not TOTALLY sure that others would agree this is a bug, or
f) For any reason at all not sure this should be filed,

...then please post to the dev list first. You'll get a faster response,
and others won't be forced to use the bugs.koha database to have the
initial real-time conversations. Nothing is lost this way.  If it is
eventually concluded that it is a bug, then we can still file it later,
after the description and reproduction recipe have been honed.

Enhancements, improvements and new features: a good starting point is the
user list, (IRC?) and possibly the dev list. If there is consensus, this
should be filed at ??? <enhancements.koha-community.org> (similar to bugzilla)

Best -- Paul

[1] loosely based on Apache 2002.