[Koha-devel] [Koha] Problem with BarcodeFallbackSearch

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Thu Dec 10 21:56:52 CET 2015

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 6:46 PM, Paul A <paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com> wrote:
> Enhancements, improvements and new features: a good starting point is the
> user list, (IRC?) and possibly the dev list. If there is consensus, this
> should be filed at ??? <enhancements.koha-community.org> (similar to
> bugzilla)

It is hardly unusual for a "bugs" database to be used to record both
reports of defects with the software and requests for enhancements.
The Koha project has done so for years; procedures for doing are
documented in the project bug reporting guidelines [1].

Using Bugzilla for both bugs and enhancements serves the Koha
community by providing a single place where all requests for changes
to the software can be found -- and to consolidate multiple requests
for the same change.  It also gives us a way to readily reclassify
change requests; there are and will be plenty of grey areas where a
given request could reasonably considered either a bug or an
enhancement. Creating a separate database for enhancements, as you
appear to be suggesting, would make such reclassification more
difficult.

The existence of bugs.koha-community.org does not, of course, preclude
somebody from discussing a potential enhancement on the mailing list,
and doing so can be a useful way to gauge interest or find folks
interesting in collaborating in making an enhancement happen.
However, discouraging folks from using the bugs database would be a
disservice to the Koha community; given the number of users who are
interested in changes to Koha, *some* system for organizing requests
is needed. Bugzilla is not perfect, but it is what we have.

[1] http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Bug_Reporting_Guidelines

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton
Infrastructure and Added Services Manager
email:  gmc at esilibrary.com
direct: +1 770-709-5581
cell:   +1 404-984-4366
skype:  gmcharlt