[Koha-devel] Get rid of item-level_itype?

Chris Cormack chrisc at catalyst.net.nz
Sun Dec 13 19:13:04 CET 2015

On 14 December 2015 6:14:22 am NZDT, Katrin Fischer <Katrin.Fischer.83 at web.de> wrote:
>I am in favour or removing the item-level_itype system preference and
>for centralizing all itemtype related code. But I think we have still
>have a need/use for the biblio level itemtype apart from it setting the
>default for the items level.
>
>I know there was some work done to use it for holds related code. And
>also patches like document delivery (bug 14610) depend on it to allow
>requests for records without items.
>
>Katrin

I agree, especially as  more and more libraries have records with no items. (Think a catalogue for a website with the URL in 856u for marc21)
Or all the project Gutenberg records etc.

The item level item type is there for a reason. I'm all for simplifying the code but just want to make sure people understand it and don't kill features by accident.

http://blog.bigballofwax.co.nz/2012/07/31/yes-you-should-rewrite-it-no-not-like-that/

Chris