[Koha-devel] OPAC !DOCTYPE

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Fri Feb 20 14:02:49 CET 2015

> The shortened doctype looks odd, but is the new official recommendation for
> HTML 5. Koha has changed to this for the OPAC and (I believe the staff
> side).

The above is 100% correct, as were the other replies you have received.

> Yup, but I tried that (explicitly declaring HTML5)

"<!DOCTYPE html>" explicitly declares an HTML5 document.

> of errors (50+ of them yui css)

YUI CSS is not HTML, and thus are completely irrelevant to questions
about XHTML vs. HTML5.

The W3C's markup validation service will correctly validate HTML5:

http://validator.w3.org/

To sum up: The doctype declarations in Koha's OPAC and staff client
templates are correct, and are not the cause of your errors. Not all
templates are 100% valid, but you should see few errors related to
HTML markup.

  -- Owen

--
Web Developer