[Koha-devel] Upgrade path for packages

Indranil Das Gupta indradg at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 23:44:01 CET 2015

Hi Tomás,

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 12:25 AM, Tomas Cohen Arazi
<tomascohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> I propose we step forward and create "3.18", "3.20" and so on, instead of
> just "stable", "oldstable", etc. This way no one will be forced to jump into
> another major release.

+1

I've faced support calls from people who have "accidentally" managed
to upgrade their installed version, after a new version had been
released and moved into stable. so, this certainly makes sense.

> Some of you expressed your concerns about "people indefinitely using
> obsolete/insecure releases". I propose that once a release goes
> "unmaintained" [1] a "last" release/package adding a red-notorious warning
> message on the intranet footer is pushed stating that the release is no
> longer maintained and provinding a link for upgrade instructions.

It's a good idea. But IMHO people who get stuck into older releases
are unlikely to benefit.

>From my experience, people usually install either the latest version
of the 'oldstable' OR they go for the "stable" and if they do install
from stable, they will usually install the X.X.01 or higher of the
"stable" version in order to benefit from the bugfixes etc after
release of a new version.

Now the ones that have been updating would keep on updating and thus
once a new release moves in the "stable" would move into that as a
general maintenance task. But the ones that do not / can not upgrade,
they are likely to miss the last "flagged" release.

Instead how about a "Check for upgrade" link in the intranet?

Just my 2 cents :)

cheers

--
Indranil Das Gupta

Phone : +91-98300-20971
Blog    : http://indradg.randomink.org/blog
IRC      : indradg on irc://irc.freenode.net
Twitter : indradg