[Koha-devel] Inquiry regarding replication

Michael Hafen michael.hafen at washk12.org
Fri Jan 2 21:31:42 CET 2015

I have replication setup as part of my Koha installs.  I have MySQL on a
seperate server because we have several websites and in-house webapps that
use MySQL.  I also have a redundant server capable if I.P. failover.  I use
replication to keep the two servers in sync.  You have to use a
master-master setup in this kind of case though, because if the redundant
server becomes the active node then all writes will happen on it, so it has
to be master-master to keep both in sync with each other.  I have Pace
Maker and Corosync handling the I.P. failover.

MySQL replication is usually used to setup up read-only copies for
load-balancing in very large installations, or for partial fault
tolerance.  Usually it's master-slave and the slave servers are read-only.
This setup with master-master and I.P. failover for full fault tolerance is
very complex and can be a headache to maintain.  But I can pretty much
reboot either server with a little preparation when ever I need to with
very little down time, so very little chance of missing a write operation.