[Koha-devel] 3.18 search speed

Robin Sheat robin at catalyst.net.nz
Mon Jan 5 23:33:39 CET 2015

Paul A schreef op ma 05-01-2015 om 13:13 [-0500]:
> However, I still want 3.18 if I can. I started over on a fresh 64-bit
> sandbox, got all the dependencies (and copied over an "archival" tarball of
> ./etc/koha, ./var/lib/koha and ./usr/share/koha for history's sake) and am

Don't do that, unless you're putting them somewhere out of the way.
Otherwise they risk interfering.

> now trying the "package."

It doesn't need scare quotes, it is actually called a package, because
it contains things.

> Followed the Wiki page, but so far, very limited
> luck. It seems to have set up an empty mysql db,

This is correct. You can put your data in there if you like. You can
access the database by using 'koha-mysql'.

> under a new name (pw
> unknown),

Yes, it uses a standardised naming scheme. The password is not unknown,
it's defined in the same place that it's always defined in:
koha-conf.xml.

> with new unknown zebra name/pw,

Who ever uses the zebra name/pw? Anyway, it's not unknown, it's defined
in the same place that it's always defined in: koha-conf.xml.

> and above all a new user on the
> system! again pw unknown.

Yes, it creates a new user on the system. That's so it can run
everything as that user. This user doesn't have a password because it
doesn't need a password. You can access it using 'koha-shell'.

> I probably misunderstood the very limited
> questions during the install trying to use existing names for "instance"

It doesn't matter (within reason) what instance name you use. It's just
a name, something to call the instance when you want to refer to it
later.

>(and all I want is one.)

You can have as many as you like. "One" is a subset of that.

> Not at all like the tarball, which allowed some
> granularity.

Well of course, with the tarball you do everything manually. With the
packages, it sets you up with a standard system.

> File permissions are all over the place, with root mixed in with group
> "koha318-koha" (whoever that is?)

It does the permissions correctly. When they should be root, they're
root. When they should be the user created for your instance, they are
the user created for your instance. Don't mess with them, it is doing it
right. If it's not, that's a bug and we can fix it.

koha318-koha is the user that was created for your instance, and your
instance is called koha318. Presumably because that's what you called
it.

> I've got a staff-admin page but no db (it's there, but Koha is looking for
> it's own I suppose.)

It can't just guess where your data is, it's not magic. You have a
database dump, load it into the database.

Handy trick I use a lot:

cat dump.sql | sudo koha-mysql instancename

(if there's a create database or use command in there, you'll have to do
it the other way:

sudo koha-mysql instancename
mysql> \. dump.sql

)

> No OPAC at all - apache reports "The requested URL
> /cgi-bin/koha/opac-main.pl was not found on this server." but it's there:
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  2645 Dec 28 23:55 opac-main.pl ...

I don't know what to tell you there, you've done something weird and
broken the apache configuration most likely. Or you don't have DNS set
up right, so you're getting the default site.

Additionally, I've added a little bit to my in-development package docs
that explain at a high level what a koha-create does:

http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Talk:Koha_on_Debian#How_koha-create_configures_your_system

--
Robin Sheat
Catalyst IT Ltd.