[Koha-devel] Current status of Plack in Koha staff client?

Jonathan Druart jonathan.druart at biblibre.com
Fri Jul 10 13:12:20 CEST 2015

> Hi,

Hi Leif,

> during the last few days I have been looking at Plack.
> Rather confusing. And I wonder:
>
> What is the current status of Plack in Koha staff client?

Not ready for production yet.

> I started looking at koha 3.18. With the Plack patch applied.
> I still had various utf8 problems in facets, in column location (of results), and I believe also in Patron search.
> After upgrading to 3.20.01.000 (package install on Debian GNU/Linux 7.6 (wheezy)) I have not - so far - experianced any utf8 problems.
>
> Does anybody know what was done to fix this?

Yes, bug 13815 (and bug 11944).

> In v 3.20 I still have a lot of different cache(?) problems, though.
>
> Well, simple updates like global system preferences -> Staff client -> IntranetNav
> seems to work fine.
> (any text is displayed on every screen in Koha, so it is easy to spot success/failure)
> So if I change the text in a session (intranet:5001 plack), then the change is shown when I leave the preferences page and go to another koha screen.
> It is also shown in plack sessions started later on the same or on other machines.
>
> But if I change i.e. sysprefs -> Searching -> setting UseQueryParser to "Try"
> The change is not reflected in my current session
> In fact it seems I can not make any plack driven session use QueryParser.
> If I connect through port 8080 QueryParser is used.

Syspref caching issue is also fixed by bug 13815, see the line
    C4::Context->clear_syspref_cache();
in misc/plack/koha.psgi

> If I check "About Koha" to see the recentness of my perl modules.
> And then goes on to upgrade some of the modules. This will be poorly reflected in
> any plack driven session launched *after* the upgrade!

I think you can open a bug report for this one (link it to bug 13791)

> Sometimes a plackdriven session may all of a sudden take me to Koha webinstaller!
> re-Loading the previous page may solve the problem. (Caused by lost mysql connection?)

Do you have something in the logs?

> All in all it gives the impression that Plack in Koha staff module is still very unstable and unreliable.
> Does anyone have a contrary experiance?

Unfortunately, no...

> If others have the same experiences as I have: are there any plans to fix the problems?
> Has anyone done more systematic and more exhaustive tests? Has it been shared somewhere?

Have a look at
http://lists.koha-community.org/pipermail/koha-devel/2015-June/041503.html
and
http://lists.koha-community.org/pipermail/koha-devel/2015-April/041375.html