[Koha-devel] Koha and mod perl

Robin Sheat robin at catalyst.net.nz
Tue Jun 2 02:06:23 CEST 2015

David Cook schreef op ma 01-06-2015 om 10:30 [+1000]:
> As for Paul's Question 2, I think most projects these days are
> favouring Plack/PSGI.  I think mod_perl might be a bit old-fashioned
> these days, although it certainly seems to work well still.

I was curious, I'd heard that mod_perl was being deprecated slowly.
Apparently that's not really the case, but there are other reasons. I
asked on the wellington.pm IRC channel:

<eythian> hey, what's the status of mod_perl these days?
<eythian> is it being slowly deprecated?
<morfran> i think it's just sliding quietly into obscurity
<morfran> more portability; less reliance on apache; better tools; still
being actively developed; less risk from abandonment of project
<morfran> we're considering starman behind nginx as a replacement path
for mod_perl
<grantm> eythian: the main reason for plack over mod_perl is that plack
can do everything with a much simpler API and it isn't tied to Apache
<morfran> seems that mod_perl2 is actively developed
<grantm> the mod_perl project has always been big, over complicated and
under-resourced - but not dead

--
Robin Sheat
Catalyst IT Ltd.