[Koha-devel] git commit messages

Barton Chittenden barton at bywatersolutions.com
Wed Sep 23 14:42:14 CEST 2015

Mea Culpa. Mea maxima culpa.

Thanks for the link, Colin. There are a couple of related issues that I had
noticed along the way:

1) Convention (and possibly some koha programming standard) says that the
bug number be included in the summary line of the commit message. Somewhere
along the line, I assumed that this was an automated thing, so I left them
off to avoid duplication :-/ (I'm in the process of fixing those). If we
did want to automate this, where would we put it in the process?

2) Knowing which branches a patch has been pushed to is a pain-point for
those of us supporting Koha [I know that this is a bit off topic, because
this is *not* information that would be stored in the commit message, but
bear with me...]. Typically, QA will announce that a patch has been pushed
to master, and then the release maintainers for the supported releases will
apply the patch to the point releases of the supported Koha version, if
applicable. This can cause issues for support because we don't necessarily
know what version master was at when the bug was pushed. You can get some
sense of this from the date the bug was pushed, and look up release dates,
but that's not a straightforward process by any means. I'm not a QA guy,
but I assume that we have some release management tool... could we automate
the process so that it posted the Koha version number to bugzilla when a
bug is pushed to master?

Thanks,

--Barton