[Koha-devel] git commit messages

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Wed Sep 23 15:13:55 CEST 2015

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 8:42 AM, Barton Chittenden
<barton at bywatersolutions.com> wrote:
> 1) Convention (and possibly some koha programming standard) says that the
> bug number be included in the summary line of the commit message. Somewhere
> along the line, I assumed that this was an automated thing, so I left them
> off to avoid duplication :-/ (I'm in the process of fixing those). If we did
> want to automate this, where would we put it in the process?

I'm not sure that there's automation for putting the bug number in the
subject line of the commit, but there's certainly automation (e.g.,
the script that builds release notes) that depends on the bug number
being there -- (and consequently, the release notes can answer your
question about knowing in what versions a bugfix was applied, though I
grant that additional indexing might be nice).

I share Colin's preference for commit messages that describe the
change that the commit makes rather than the bug that the commit fixes
-- even more so when the commit message makes it clear how its effects
are visible to the user, and what, if anything, the user may need to
do about it.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton
Infrastructure and Added Services Manager
email:  gmc at esilibrary.com
direct: +1 770-709-5581
cell:   +1 404-984-4366
skype:  gmcharlt