[Koha-devel] Interface patterns (tabs)

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Tue Aug 30 20:00:02 CEST 2016

> Do you have any documentation for preferred use of jQuery tabs?

Hi David,

Sorry to have let your question hang for so long!

If I had to describe how tabs are generally used in Koha I would say
that they are used to present distinct sub-categories of information
about a thing in a way which conserves space. I consider the
bibliographic detail page to be the best example.

There are other pages like members/pay.pl which use "static" tabs.
These are tabs which look like jQueryUI tabs but are actually links to
separate pages. That doesn't feel very consistent to me but it seems
to work.

I realized I'd forgotten it when I looked again at Bug 12773 ("Branch
transfer limits show codes instead of descriptions (item
types/collections)"). The transfer limits page uses tabs to allow for
fast switching between collection code configurations. In my library's
system the tabs get a little crazy:

http://zivotdesign.com/p/#1/14725785555465

Of course we may simply have too many collection codes! I think the
screenshot is a strong hint that tabs are not the correct way to be
handling that interface. I would be interested to hear if anyone has
other examples of where a tabbed interface becomes unwieldy because of
a large number of generated tabs.

David does that answer your question?

 -- Owen

--