[Koha-devel] RFC for a really new stuff : sharing data worldwide

Frédéric Demians frederic at tamil.fr
Mon Feb 1 17:25:10 CET 2016

What I have in mind is a mechanism which would allow Koha users to go in
Administration, and request a specific language for their installed Koha
version. For example, I run Koha 3.22.1. I go in Admin > WUI Language. I
select a language. I see a list of .po versions for this combinaison (Koha
version / language) ordered by reverse date of publication. I choose one of
them, and install it. The .po files are downloaded. Templates are recreated.

With this mechanism, if the Koha Data Sharing Server (KDSS) is synchronized
once a day with Pootle, I can modify my language translation on Pootle, and 24
hours later download and install the last language version.

The translation files are not anymore in the tarball.

It looks like that:

     Pootle

   <synchro>

      KDSS

  <Update PO>

<Koha Servers>

The Pootle server is used by translators. It can't serve directly
translatations to Koha servers for performance reasons. A proxy repository is
required (KDSS). Once a day, the language repository can be updated with
Pootle last translation files. If those files were placed in a Git repository,
we would have also performance issues because the branch containing the
requested version by a Koha server would have to be checked out. It's also
impossible to serve two simultaneous requests for different Koha versions.

I would rather have a file system arborescence storing zipped .po files per
Koha version / language / date of publication. Or using a data store like
MongoDB GridFS...

But enough idle talk...