[Koha-devel] Introduce the use of Grunt or Gulp?

Jesse pianohacker at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 22:02:44 CET 2016

I really like this idea; it would help some longstanding performance issues
on the OPAC (and perhaps, eventually, the staff side). Even better, it
would make regeneration of the CSS from the LESS a bit more
straightforward, and allow us to remove the generated files from Git.
Eventually, it could also give a cleaner solution for some of the caching
issues we've hacked around.

It seems like the easiest way forward would be to minify/concatenate all of
the JS and CSS that is shown on every page (so we could just throw a link
to the output in doc-head-close). Thoughts?

> I would very much like to start using some kind of build tool for
> front-end assets in Koha. The ones I've encountered are Grunt and
> Gulp:
>
> Grunt: http://gruntjs.com/
> Gulp: http://gulpjs.com/
>
> I have some experience with Grunt, and have heard good things about
> Gulp. Has anyone else used either in their non-Koha projects?
>
> Adopting them would introduce a little more complexity to the process
> of making client-side changes to Koha, and to be honest I'm not sure
> of the right way to incorporate the tools into our workflow.
>
> What I see as the advantages:
>
> - Automatic linting, minification, and concatenation of CSS and JS
> - Potentially, automatic compression of images and contruction of image
> sprites
> - Overall performance improvements from the above
>
> Disadvantages: A new process to learn for those wanting to contribute
> front-end modifications. A new set of dependencies for front-end
> developers (Node.js etc).
>
> If there is interest I'd be happy to submit a patch introducing the
> process to the OPAC as a demonstration.
>
>   -- Owen
>
> --
> Web Developer