[Koha-devel] Introduce the use of Grunt or Gulp?

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Wed Feb 10 00:00:31 CET 2016

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 7, 2016 at 8:53 PM, Owen Leonard <oleonard at myacpl.org> wrote:
> I have some experience with Grunt, and have heard good things about
> Gulp. Has anyone else used either in their non-Koha projects?

Grunt is used by Evergreen's new web staff interface; while I can't
claim to be an expert in it, it gets the job done.

> Adopting them would introduce a little more complexity to the process
> of making client-side changes to Koha, and to be honest I'm not sure
> of the right way to incorporate the tools into our workflow.

>From a packaging point of view... I ended up down a rabbit hole. Grunt
itself is not packaged for Debian due to a long-standing issues with
one of its own devDependencies, JSHint [1]. I don't see any signs that
Gulp is packaged either.

Using Grunt would therefore present a problem: it would require a
build dependency that is not itself packaged for Debian.  I note that
Debian's package of jQuery includes a custom build script to avoid
using Grunt.

Jake [2] *is* packaged for Debian -- would that work for you as an
alternative, Owen?

> If there is interest I'd be happy to submit a patch introducing the
> process to the OPAC as a demonstration.

+1 for doing something, but see above.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=673727
[2] https://github.com/jakejs/jake

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton
Infrastructure and Added Services Manager
email:  gmc at esilibrary.com
direct: +1 770-709-5581
cell:   +1 404-984-4366
skype:  gmcharlt