[Koha-devel] Introduce the use of Grunt or Gulp?

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Thu Feb 11 20:57:04 CET 2016

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 2:01 PM, Renvoize, Martin
<martin.renvoize at ptfs-europe.com> wrote:
> Am I missing something in the ' need for it to be packaged ' here?  aren't
> they Dev tools, to be used in a development type install during development?
>
> Then used in the build stage for producing packages.

Well, using them in the build stage is exactly the sticking point --
it would be preferable to not be dependent on build tools that aren't
themselves packaged for Debian.  To be clear, however, that isn't an
argument against folks using Grunt or Gulp to assist with front-end
development so long as what's directly needed for packaging and
production installs (such as minification and LESS compilation) can be
accomplished without requiring non-packaged tools (and as I mentioned
before, I'm willing to help with that).

> I'd suggest keeping the resultant files in git for the current build scripts
> to use for production builds for instance, and lean on the qa script to
> ensure they were created using the grunt processing.

I'm not in favor of this as a long-term solution, but I recognize that
continuing to do this (as we already do for the Bootstrap LESS files)
may be a work-around.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton
Infrastructure and Added Services Manager
email:  gmc at esilibrary.com
direct: +1 770-709-5581
cell:   +1 404-984-4366
skype:  gmcharlt