[Koha-devel] Supported Debian versions

Tomas Cohen Arazi tomascohen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 22:55:43 CET 2016

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 1:13 PM, Tomas Cohen Arazi <tomascohen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Will the next release support Debian Wheezy?

Answer for Philipe: I meant to say "drop support for Debian Wheezy". Sorry
for the confusion.

> We'll have to see based on what the net new dependencies end up being.
> Wheezy is set to be in LTS from 26th of April 2016 to 31st of May 2018, so
> there would be some value in not forcing a mandatory major Debian upgrade
> on users in order to use Koha 3.24, but I don't think that need be a firm
> commitment on our parts.

I asked mainly because I was not sure about the status of Wheezy (being an
LTS release or not) and...

> At present, of course, you'll need Jessie to get Apache 2.4 and Plack
> support; Jessie thus remains the minimum _recommended_ Debian version.

exactly that. I'm working on a couple scripts that deal with apache
configuration files, and the use of Define directives (core feature in 2.4)
would make things really easier (thinking on the upgrade path).
As Galen said, we already need apache 2.4 for Plack. The Plack
configuration is actually wrapped like this:

<IfVersion >= 2.4.8>
        ProxyPass /cgi-bin/koha "unix:/var/run/koha/${instance}/plack.sock|
http://localhost/intranet"

The important part is the ${instance} variable, defined in the top-level
virtualhost definition file like this:

   Define instance "__KOHASITE__"

If we could make use of this directive, we could patch the end-user's
apache configuration files on upgrade. It is clearer with an example:

If we introduced a sitemap generation wrapper script around sitemap.pl to
make it work the-packages-way (what I worked on this morning), it would be
great to just patch the apache-shared-opac.conf file, including either the
configuration for the sitemap files, or an include for an extra file that
deals with it. As we need generate sitemaps for each instance, we need a
way to point it to the instance-specific sitemap directory. It would use a
placeholder for the instance name so it works for already created instances.
Right now, we need to let the users know how to patch their files.

That's the main reason I asked. I can do it the same way we did for Plack,
wrapping the include inside the <IfVersion >= 2.4.8> condition anyway. Just
asking.

Regards
Tomas

> [1] https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/