[Koha-devel] Questions regarding localization

Katrin katrin.fischer.83 at web.de
Mon Nov 21 22:40:27 CET 2016

Hi Roger,

strings in Koha are either stored in the database (authorised values,
item type descriptions, MARC field and subfield descriptions, etc.) or
are part of the templates.

Strings in the templates are translated via the po files you have
already seen. They are updated pre-release using the translation scripts
- no manual editing is required. I think on the packages it works with:
sudo koha-translate -u <langcode>. Or in koha-shell: cd misc translator,
perl translate update <langcode>. TT variables will be automatically
replaced by %s. For JavaScript there is a special syntax you can use
that has the same effect.

You can find additional information about the translation process on the
wiki:

https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Translating_Koha
https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Installation_of_additional_languages_for_OPAC_and_INTRANET_staff_client

There are also some coding guidelines concerning translation:

https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Coding_Guidelines

As you have written the $type parameter is currently not used. The
different fines and fees are differentiated in the database by their
accounttype in accountlines. The code is translated into a description
in the templates, which means there can be a translation for every
installed language.

Hope this helps,

Katrin