[Koha-devel] Uploading circulation related Data to Koha. Help required.

Indranil Das Gupta indradg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 12:13:07 CEST 2016

Dear Dr Manjunath,

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 2:49 PM, G.K.MANJUNATH <gkm at igidr.ac.in> wrote:
<snipped>
> However, one important job remains unfinished.  We have downloaded
> circulation data in Excel format and trying to upload this to Koha. We do
> not know how to go about it .
>
> I very appreciate  your help :
>
> 1. Is it possible to directly upload the circulation data stored either in
>    a MS-Excel file or a text file?
>
>        * We have 5 fields - date of transaction, Patron codes, barcode
>          numbers, date of issue and due date. ( Will be converted to tab
>          separated file if required )

Please refer to http://schema.koha-community.org/tables/issues.html
for more details

But briefly map the data as follows:(L is your fields, R is Koha's
issues table fields)

date_of_transaction -> timestamp
patron_code -> borrowernumber
barcode_number -> itemnumber [see note 1 below]
date_of_issue -> issuedate
due_date -> date_due

IMPORTANT: Additionally you need to add an extra column to your Excel
/ CSV / TSV file: branchcode and populate the column with your branch
code (assumption: you only have a single branch OR all items are
issues from only one branch)

NOTE 1: You need to use the barcode number to look up the respective
value of itemnumber in the items tables and use _that_ in the column
instead of your barcode.

NOTE 2: Upload directly into your issues table using the command line
OR phpmyadmin or other mysql client software

NB: Before following NOTE 2, (a) backup your database safely and first
test on a test system (in case separate test system is not available
you ***MUST*** backup the database first; (b) safely to work with an
empty issues table.

> 2. If not, is there any way I can convert the circulation related data
>     stored in Excel or text file to .koc format so
>     that it can be uploaded to Koha using the utility developed by
>     'Bywater  solutions'.

Yes you can do that as well.

See example at https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Koha_offline_circulation_file_format#Circulation_data

> Any input in this regard is highly appreciated.

hope this helps,
-idg

Indranil Das Gupta
L2C2 Technologies

Phone : +91-98300-20971
WWW  : http://www.l2c2.co.in
Blog    : http://blog.l2c2.co.in
IRC     : indradg on irc://irc.freenode.net
Twitter : indradg