[Koha-devel] Gender-neutral pronouns

Eric Phetteplace ephetteplace at cca.edu
Wed Apr 19 22:16:26 CEST 2017

Hi Philippe,

"She" doesn't solve either of the problems I outlined in my original
statement, however. It still excludes people who aren't of a particular
gender and it's still inaccurate in places where it implies a particular
value for borrowers.sex.

I don't mean to make more work for anyone, cause trouble, or to make things
more confusing. There are places where Chris' suggestion makes sense; we
can avoid pronouns altogether, if possible. But I'm not sure that works in
every comment. I just see so little harm in correcting the existing
instances of gendered language and establishing a guideline for future
writing. Most of this work has already been done.

When you look at the current terminology guidelines
<https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Terminology>, some choices have
already been based upon locality. Thus the use of "patrons" over
"borrowers" even though the database table was named borrowers, for
instance. There will always be tradeoffs. I think "they" is the best option
given the available choices, for reasons already articulated.

> The ticket also refers to someone having written "it" for a person in
some comment.

If you're referring to my bug, you've misunderstood my comment; an object,
not a person, was being referred to as "he" and I changed it to "it."

Best,
Eric Phetteplace
Systems Librarian
California College of the Arts