[Koha-devel] Task schedulers and message queues for Koha

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Tue Feb 21 23:29:25 CET 2017

Hi Zeno,

Thanks for your message.

Originally, I developed the OAI-PMH harvester using a cronjob, but that
wasn't acceptable for Stockholm University Library for a few reasons.

One, there was no web interface for controlling it. Two, they wanted to
execute OAI-PMH requests every 2-3 seconds and cron has 1 minute as its
finest granularity. Three, even if you setup a cronjob to run every minute,
long running tasks could get duplicated (although you could mitigate that
with locks which would be a pain). Plus, you want to run tasks in parallel,
so you're going to want to use multiple processes, which cron isn't really
set up to achieve.

At the end of it, I think it's more 'to purpose' to have your own daemon
where you can control time intervals, workers, have a web interface, etc.

Cron is useful for many purposes, but I don't think it's always the right
solution. Plus, creating a web interface for cron isn't necessarily the best
idea I think. I would consider it to be a hack rather than a solution. As
others have pointed out before me, it comes with significant security
issues. With a task scheduler, you're much more in control of everything.

David Cook
Systems Librarian
Prosentient Systems
72/330 Wattle St