[Koha-devel] Idea for Koha documentation -- move sysprefs into an appendix

Barton Chittenden barton at bywatersolutions.com
Mon Jul 10 22:49:08 CEST 2017

I've been wondering for a while if it would be a good idea to move the
administration section farther back in the manual. As it stands, a new
user, first reading through the manual will read through a page or two of
introduction, and then get thrown straight into 600+ system preferences.
I'm coming up on four years working with Koha, and I *almost* feel equipped
to read through all of those, end-to-end.

Of course no-one actually reads the manual that way; we tell people to
browse the table of contents and cherry pick the parts that they find the
most interesting, and expand their knowledge from there -- but maybe we
could provide a friendlier more intuitive introduction which, pre-supposes
that a reader is sitting in front of a system that is configured with some
sane default settings, and gives a tour of Koha's features? That seems like
a much friendlier approach.

Just my two cents,

--Barton