[Koha-devel] Proposal to give summer internship to students for working on Koha

Dalton Fury daltonfury42 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 11:47:02 CET 2017

Hi,

I am writing this email representing Central Library, National Institute of
Technology, India. We migrated to Koha from a propitiatory software over an
year ago, and are very happy with Koha.

After moving to Koha, various departments have approached us so that they
can use our Koha installation to mange their libraries. One obstacle we
face is that Circulation Rules can be defined only based on Patron
Categories.

Our patrons are categorized as UG(Under graduate), PG(Post Graduate), PHD,
STAFF, FACULTY etc. Sort1 and Sort2 fields are used to classify patrons
into departments (Mechanical, Civil , CS, Electrical etc)  and programs (B.
Tech, MCA, BCA, MBA etc) respectively.

Our patron categories are too broad. We need to define rules based on sort1
and sort2 fields as well.

We are planning on taking a CS student as an intern during the summer
vacation and get him to work on this feature.

I am not a developer, and hence I want to get opinions from the koha
developer community before I proceed with this. Some questions I have in
mind are:

Will the Koha community accept this change?
Is it feasible?
Can an undergrad student learn and implement this in 4 weeks of time? What
is the difficulty level?

I also have a high level objective of introducing a student to opensource
contributions. If there is some other useful task that the intern can do
for the community, please mention them too.

Regards,