[Koha-devel] git-bz: avoid storing unencrypted passwords in gitconfig

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Thu Jan 18 02:14:44 CET 2018

This issue has annoyed me for years, so this sounds pretty cool!

I don't love the "cache" and "store" options... but it looks like there
might be an alternative using libsecret or the gnome keyring. These
alternatives can be found in separate packages or built from source it
seems.

On OpenSUSE, I just installed " git-credential-gnome-keyring". On Arch, they
use libsecret:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME/Keyring#Git_integration.

It looks like the gnome keyring one is deprecated
(https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36585496/error-when-using-git-credentia
l-helper-with-gnome-keyring-as-sudo), so libsecret is probably the way to
go.

I've tried using /usr/lib/git/git-credential-gnome-keyring, but it doesn't
seem to be working. Admittedly I'm just using a SSH session rather than a
GUI session. I launched DBUS so I don't get errors but it's not saving
credentials using "git credential approve". The "cache" option worked well
though.

David Cook
Systems Librarian
Prosentient Systems