[Koha-devel] a few koha questions

Paul A paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com
Wed Jan 24 23:05:05 CET 2018

On 2018-01-24 01:12 PM, Johan Seyfferdt wrote:

Skipping directly to your "secondly" (and you might get a wider response
on the "Koha" (users) list rather than Koha-devel):
> When our librarian is adding books, she only have a list of pblishers
> and atohrs, and she was wondering if we can create like a dropdown menus
> for those fields that she doesnt have to type it every time but simply
> choose what she wants?

You do not give the size of your holdings, but, while an author and or
publisher drop-down might be (technically, code-wise) possible, you
would end up with something so long it would be unusable.

For authors -- you most probably have them as an "authority", so just
use "tag editor" icon at the end of 100$a

As to publisher, we do not declare them as authorities (maybe other
libraries do) because there is so much variation as to legal/declared
name (and if you include place of publication it gets worse.) Once in a
while we do a "tidy up", which finds a few typos and minor variations
which we manually correct, but we still end up with more than is
practicable for a drop-down:

mysql> SELECT distinct(publishercode) from biblioitems;
/..../
14856 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Best -- Paul