[Koha-devel] Koha hackfest in Marseille & https://reasonablegraph.org/ platform

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Tue Jan 30 23:52:02 CET 2018

I'm skeptical of anything that claims to implement BIBFRAME for production, since BIBFRAME appears to still be an experimental work in progress (https://www.loc.gov/bibframe/faqs/#q09). That said, it does seem like folk like Ex Libris are trying to use BIBFRAME 2.0 in production (https://www.loc.gov/bibframe/implementation/register.html). I suppose every technology needs its early adopters. I can see why places like Oslo Public Library, the National Library of Sweden, and la Bibliothèque Nationale de France are using their own schemas though.

The ReasonableGraph Github only seems to have 1 contributor and a handful of commits. Mostly from 1 year ago and 15 days ago. I wonder what is missing? I haven't had time to deep dive the code yet.
https://github.com/reasonablegraph

That said, I'm intrigued by anything that claims to use Linked Data. To date, I've mostly only seen systems that use RDF stored locally. That is, that only link internally and don't resolve external links.  The most interesting example of Linked Data that I've actually found is with OCLC WorldCat: http://www.worldcat.org/title/good-omens-the-nice-and-accurate-prophecies-of-agnes-nutter-witch-a-novel/oclc/21678602. If you open the "Linked Data" section, you can see that "New York" from the top of the webpage comes from  this predicate and object: library:placeOfPublication <http://dbpedia.org/resource/New_York_City>. The interesting bit is if you go down to "Related Entities", you'll see 'schema:name "New York"'. I find that interesting because http://dbpedia.org/page/New_York_City doesn't have a predicate of schema:name. So, in theory, OCLC must be converting a triple from another vocabulary into Schema.org. Either that or they provide the link as the authoritative link and then just add their own local triple saying "New York". I suppose that's a possibility too. But it kind of defeats the purpose of machine readable Linked Data. But Linked Data is hard since you never know what you're going to get back from the other end.

At this point, what could Reasonable Graph offer for Koha?

Apologies if that sounds rude at all. I've just been thinking a lot about RDF and Linked Data for the last couple of years.

David Cook
Systems Librarian
Prosentient Systems
72/330 Wattle St