[Koha-devel] Should the first 3 digits of cn_sort be sorted for dewey decimal?

Barton Chittenden barton at bywatersolutions.com
Sat Jun 16 17:11:39 CEST 2018

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 2:37 AM, Michael Kuhn <mik at adminkuhn.ch> wrote:

> Dewey Decimal Classification uses characters that indeed do look like
> Arabic numbers (standing for classes, divisions, sections), but these
> characters do not behave like numbers, so the correct sorting is actually
> not as you would expect (namely seen from the right to left)
>
>   1
>   2
>  11
>  21
> 100
> 230
>
> but (and thus seen from left to right)
>
> 1
> 100
> 11
> 2
> 21
> 230
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> That's' not the way I understand it. The Dewey classes:

000 – Computer science, information & general works
100 – Philosophy and psychology
200 – Religion
300 – Social sciences
400 – Language
500 – Pure Science
600 – Technology
700 – Arts & recreation
800 – Literature
900 – History & geography

000 is sub-divided into the hundreds group

000 Computer science, knowledge & systems
010 Bibliographies
020 Library & information sciences
030 Encyclopedias & books of facts
040 [Unassigned]
050 Magazines, journals & serials
060 Associations, organizations & museums
070 News media, journalism & publishing
080 Quotations
090 Manuscripts & rare books

and then sub-divided again into the thousands groups...

000 Computer science, information & general works
001 Knowledge
002 The book
003 Systems
004 Data processing & computer science
005 Computer programming, programs & data
006 Special computer methods
007 [Unassigned]
008 [Unassigned]
009 [Unassigned]

...and then sub-divisions of the thousands are done after the decimal
point  -- 001.1, 001.2, etc...

as such, I don't think that callnumber 1.1 is a valid DDC number... it
lacks the class and hundred-level group, and should, for the purposes of
cn_sort, be converted to 001_100000000000000.

(Numbers above are taken from
https://www.oclc.org/content/dam/oclc/dewey/DDC%2023_Summaries.pdf).