[Koha-devel] Should the first 3 digits of cn_sort be sorted for dewey decimal?

Michael Kuhn mik at adminkuhn.ch
Sat Jun 16 18:03:03 CEST 2018

Hi Barton

 > ...and then sub-divisions of the thousands are done after the decimal
 > point  -- 001.1, 001.2, etc...
 >
 > as such, I don't think that callnumber 1.1 is a valid DDC number... it
 > lacks the class and hundred-level group, and should, for the purposes
 > of cn_sort, be converted to 001_100000000000000.
 >
 > (Numbers above are taken from
 > https://www.oclc.org/content/dam/oclc/dewey/DDC%2023_Summaries.pdf).

Looking deeper into it it seems I was just talking about the classic
"decimal classification" which doesn't have leading zeroes. There are
too many variants of it, one of them being the Dewey Decimal
Classification / DDC - which actually seems to behave as you say,
including leading zeroes. I wasn't aware of that difference. As far as I
know the DDC is mostly used in the USA but also in Europe many peopöle
are referring to "Dewey" when they actually mean their local decimal
classification.

So I guess many libraries are filling the DDC fields with content that
is actually not proper DDC but their own variant of a decimal
classification (for example I would think in Europe it will often be
another hairy variant of the Universal Decimal Classification / UDC that
behaves the way I described - see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Decimal_Classification).

Best wishes: Michael