[Koha-devel] Questions about terminology

Liz Rea liz at catalyst.net.nz
Tue Oct 23 00:03:48 CEST 2018

Personally, I'd probably convert any "Biblio number" into
"Biblionumber," and if that needs explaining, it's the "Koha internal
record number" or "Koha unique record identifier"

On 23/10/18 09:02, Barton Chittenden wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 3:39 PM Liz Rea <liz at catalyst.net.nz> wrote:
>
>> The term bibliographic number is easily confused with "inventory number"
>> and any local or old internal record numbers that migrated MARC may have.
>>
> Agreed,  bibliographic number is confusing.
>
>> I think the most accurate long form  representation is "Koha internal
>> record number", as the biblionumber has nothing at all to do with MARC, and
>> wouldn't necessarily be carried over to another system if the record was
>> moved (not that anybody would *leave* Koha, amirite).
>>
>> With that in mind, I don't see why we would need to drop biblionumber at
>> all - it references exactly what it is, is specific to Koha, and can be
>> understood and trained in that context, fully independent of MARC.
>>
> I think the use of biblionumber is fine in context -- that's generally used
> specifically when database tables are being mentioned. The term 'Biblio
> number' (containing a space) is what I'm more concerned about. I don't know
> that the marc editor was the only place that I saw that used.

Liz Rea
Catalyst.Net Limited
Level 6, Catalyst House,
150 Willis Street, Wellington.
P.O Box 11053, Manners Street,
Wellington 6142

GPG: B149 A443 6B01 7386 C2C7 F481 B6c2 A49D 3726 38B7