[Koha-devel] Questions about terminology

Barton Chittenden barton at bywatersolutions.com
Mon Oct 22 22:02:49 CEST 2018

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 3:39 PM Liz Rea <liz at catalyst.net.nz> wrote:

> The term bibliographic number is easily confused with "inventory number"
> and any local or old internal record numbers that migrated MARC may have.

Agreed,  bibliographic number is confusing.

> I think the most accurate long form  representation is "Koha internal
> record number", as the biblionumber has nothing at all to do with MARC, and
> wouldn't necessarily be carried over to another system if the record was
> moved (not that anybody would *leave* Koha, amirite).
>
> With that in mind, I don't see why we would need to drop biblionumber at
> all - it references exactly what it is, is specific to Koha, and can be
> understood and trained in that context, fully independent of MARC.

I think the use of biblionumber is fine in context -- that's generally used
specifically when database tables are being mentioned. The term 'Biblio
number' (containing a space) is what I'm more concerned about. I don't know
that the marc editor was the only place that I saw that used.