[Koha-devel] Explainshell entry for koha package utilities (and thoughts about ubuntu repos)

Barton Chittenden barton at bywatersolutions.com
Wed Mar 20 00:14:09 CET 2019

Explainshell.com is a very nifty site that will parse the man pages that
they know about, and then tell you what a given command line does.

For example, given the command line

yaz-marcdump -i marc -o marc -f utf-8 -t marc8 -l 9=20 filenametoconvert.mrc

Explainshell will tell you what the -i, -o, -f, -t and -l options do:

https://explainshell.com/explain?cmd=yaz-marcdump+-i+marc+-o+marc+-f+utf-8+-t+marc8+-l+9%3D20+filenametoconvert.mrc+%3E+c

I honestly wasn't expecting it to know about yaz-marcdump.... but since it
does, I tried koha-create... and it doesn't know about that.

Apparently it looks at Ubuntu's man-page repository (
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/) ... so ... we're not there.

I don't know how much of a pain it is to get into, say, the ubuntu
multiverse or ubuntu partner repos. I could see issues with some of our
more bleeding edge dependencies... but it would be pretty awesome to just
use a straight 'apt install koha' to get koha... and also to be able to use
explainshell for koha-utilities.