[Koha-devel] API use in intranet and OPAC

dcook at prosentient.com.au dcook at prosentient.com.au
Tue Oct 15 03:24:33 CEST 2019

This certainly makes me wonder.

In Australia, JAWS appears to be the recommended Microsoft Windows screen reader (https://www.visionaustralia.org/information/adaptive-technology/using-technology/computer-screen-readers), and the Wikipedia entry says that Internet Explorer is the recommended browser for JAWS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JAWS_(screen_reader)). After some searching around, it seems that there are a mix of Accessibility APIs out there. The free screen reader NVDA (https://www.nvaccess.org/download/) is said to work best with Firefox (and it looks like Firefox and Chrome may use the same API protocols so maybe it works well in Chrome too). I haven't noticed anything about specific browser versions at this point.

I know we use ARIA attributes a bit... mostly through Bootstrap boilerplate I think: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Accessibility/ARIA

After reading https://www.levelaccess.com/how-browsers-interact-with-screen-readers-and-where-aria-fits-in-the-mix/, I think it would be naïve to think that we can make Koha totally accessible without more specialized knowledge and resources.

Plus, most modern web apps out there that people are interacting with are using Javascript. (Although they might be implemented in a way that is conducive to screen reader use.)

I think a number of Koha developers use Mac, which I think comes with VoiceOver. They could see how well that fares with Koha. I had a classmate from Atlassian build a completely Javascript driven app and he leveraged VoiceOver to read the screen (it was a flashcard app for learning Chinese). So perhaps modern technology is sufficiently advanced at this point not to have to worry too much.

I'm not saying that we should mandate accessibility at this point as that could be a prohibitive mandate for contributions, but it might be interesting to try out some tools to see how we're doing and if there is little things we could do to try to do the best we can for people with accessibility needs.

David Cook
Systems Librarian
Prosentient Systems
72/330 Wattle St