[Koha-devel] Trouble in setting up kohadevbox on Win10 prof

dcook at prosentient.com.au dcook at prosentient.com.au
Tue Feb 4 01:49:10 CET 2020

Yeah, Virtualbox/VMware can't be used at the same time as Hyper-V. Theoretically, the latest Virtualbox can use Hyper-V as a backend, but I couldn't get it to work in practice.

Personally, I've completely moved away from Virtualbox and over to Hyper-V. Docker Desktop uses Hyper-V out of the box, and I was able to get GNS3 working with Hyper-V, so I'm pretty content.

For what it's worth, Windows users don't have to use "Docker Desktop" and could instead create a Linux VM in Virtualbox and run Docker there instead. Docker Desktop is just more Windows user friendly.

(Of course, in the next few months, we might get WSL 2 on Windows 10, which will include a real Linux kernel in a thinner virtualization layer, which would allow people to run Docker on Windows without the full Hyper-V VM, but I digress. I'll be exploring that more once it's officially released.)

David Cook
Systems Librarian
Prosentient Systems
72/330 Wattle St