[Koha-devel] Adopting CPAN and Carton

dcook at prosentient.com.au dcook at prosentient.com.au
Thu Jun 11 01:59:15 CEST 2020

Sourcing Perl dependencies via Debian's Apt repositories or embedded CPAN dependencies wouldn't affect your "aptitude update/upgrade", as Koha would've been tested ahead of time before being released.

Perl and npm are apples and oranges. Perl is to Node.js as carton is to npm. There are good and bad packages in both ecosystems.

But Debian Perl package maintainers are very useful. My favourite example is HTTP::OAI. Tim Brody's HTTP::OAI version 4.03 on CPAN was broken. The version in Debian stayed on 3.27 for a while, and then when 4.03+ was added to Debian, it included patches from a Debian package maintainer. (Actually, looking at CPAN now, it seems like someone else has also finally taken over HTTP::OAI from Tim Brody, which is promising.)

If we didn't use Debian packages, I suppose we would've stayed at 3.27 until the CPAN version was fixed.

David Cook
Systems Librarian
Prosentient Systems
72/330 Wattle St