[Koha-devel] Adopting CPAN and Carton

Renvoize, Martin martin.renvoize at ptfs-europe.com
Mon Jun 15 12:59:00 CEST 2020

A couple of things

1) You can already test koha using all the latest Perl dependencies from
cpan using koha-testing-docker (Just set CPAN=1 in your environment before
calling ku).. and I set this to run periodically on Jenkins
2) Carton takes snapshots to 'fix' your dependencies at specific versions..
all Perl dependencies, not just those you list in the cpanfile.. The idea
is you use carton to ensure you match exactly what other developers are
using, and track that list in git so you can upgrade on mass.

I can see arguments for both cases.  I argued against using Mojolicious and
the OpenAPI plugin at the time because I knew the projects well and they
are fast-moving and as such being 'stuck' on the Debian packages or stuck
maintaining our own Debian packages is forever a challenge (and I've been
proved right on that count a few times now).

Just my two pence to add to the conversation.

*Martin Renvoize*

<https://www.ptfs-europe.com>

Development Team Manager

Community Release Manager (19.11, 20.05)

*Phone:* +44 (0) 1483 378728

*Mobile:* +44 (0) 7725 985 636

*Email:* martin.renvoize at ptfs-europe.com

*Fax:* +44 (0) 800 756 6384

www.ptfs-europe.com

Registered in the United Kingdom No. 06416372   VAT Reg No. 925 7211 30

The information contained in this email message may be privileged,
confidential and protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended
recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly
prohibited. If you think that you have received this email message in
error, please email the sender at info at ptfs-europe.com