[Koha-devel] Koha manual - git setup for local editing

David Nind david.nind at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 17:14:12 CEST 2020

It's probably just me, but I find setting up or explaining the git setup
and editing workflow for the manual to others challenging - particularly
those new to git as well:
https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Editing_the_Koha_Manual#Editing_the_manual_-_using_a_local_repository_and_editor

Also, it may be because I'm just used to working with my own repositories
at a basic git level, and not having to worry about forking.

Initial setup:

   - Fork the GitLab repository
   - Clone your fork
   - Add a second remote to track the main Koha manual repository
   (community)
   - Add a branch to track the remote repository (community_master)

Workflow for editing:

   - Make sure everything is up-to-date: checkout community_master branch,
   pull, merge with local master
   - Create a new branch for your changes
   - Edit and commit
   - Push branch to GitLab
   - Create a merge request using GitLab

Can anyone suggest any alternative ways to set this up or improve it?

Or is that as "easy" as we can make it? (and just say follow the really
good instructions and you'll get used to it in time..)

Thanks!

David Nind | david.nind at gmail.com
PO Box 12367, Thorndon, Wellington, New Zealand 6144
m. +64 21 0537 847