[Koha-devel] Koha packaging problems (Deb10/Buster)

Mason James mtj at kohaaloha.com
Wed Mar 11 12:43:32 CET 2020

On 10/03/20 8:08 pm, Mason James wrote:
> Hi Koha devs
>
> We have a dependency problem with the release of debian-10 and the following packages. (debian-11 is ok)
>
>  libmojolicious-perl
>  libmojolicious-plugin-openapi-perl
>  libyaml-libyaml-perl

> Two other options...
>  1/ use kc.org debian packages, with cpanminus (or similar) providing the distro specific packages (extra installation steps and complexity)
>  2/ ignore the problem for now, and accept that older koha/distro combinations will be forced to break

some other points i didnt mention...

koha on buster has a security bug. the solution requires some packages to be updated

i can push the packages to the koha repo to fix this problem, but... (there's always a but) the new packages will break jessie :/
when jessie-lts support officially finishes on 30th june 2020, i can happily push these packages - but between now and 30th june we need to decide on a fix for the security bug on buster
 https://wiki.debian.org/LTS

some other options...
 3/ do nothing and tell people to not use buster, until june
 4/ provide buster packages in an separate repo, until june
 5/ provide instructions to add buster packages using cpanm, until june
 6/ update koha repo to fix buster, and provide jessie packages in an separate repo
 7/ update koha repo to fix buster, and provide instructions to add jessie packages using cpanm
 8/ submit required buster packages to debian buster-backports repo (not sure how difficult this is)

i prefer option 4/, as its the least disruptive for users, and only requires an extra sources.list line to implement

also... i think we should hold off on redesigning the koha apt repository until *after* this buster security issue is fixed

cheers, Mason